Friday, May 1, 2009

Life at the Cafe



As finals are approaching, I'm finding myself spending more and more time at cafes. Trying to stay awake while indulging in tea and coffee is probably my favorite part about finals ( if its even allowed to have a favorite part). Well, when I was stumbling through Rodney Smith's photo archive, I came across these two photographs. While normally his photography stuns me for its surrealistic qualities and clever use of umbrellas. I thought that these two photos were particularly relevant to my cafe indulgent week ahead.

I also fell in love with the contrast between the black and white Parisian cafe, and the vibrant colorful Italian Cafe. I kept trying to think of the statement being made of whether one is better than the other, but I found that is not the case. Both are beautiful for their own reasons independently. The Parisian woman in her white ball gown looks like something out of day dream, while the Italians remind one of a pleasant afternoon laughing with friends. Both are lovely in their own respects. I also think that the juxtaposition of the two says something of black and white vs. color. Neither is more appropriate than the other.

 Life is both, so wear both. Your surroundings and the atmosphere will color themselves to match.

19 comments:

  1. I love this post! Good luck for your finals - maybe you can sit in a cafe in a white puffy ballgown while you study!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post makes me happy!
    i went to montreal last summer and the cafes are so lovely there. i could just sip tea all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madeline! Somehow I stumbled upon your blog, and I'm really glad I did. I like your commentary on the cafes, and the way you dress is beautiful.

    peace&love,
    nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love love love these photos! cafes are so cute :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these photos - you're right, the first one is like a day dream. Good luck for your finals! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. madeline, thanks for looking at my blog- the dress i'm making is going to be from thick victorian material in a cream colour.

    i love these photos and your blog is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always been a fan of B&W photography, but there is always a time and a place for color. I love both of these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey
    very chic blog
    thanks for your comment

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog! The 2 pictures are amazing! Indeed; both are beautiful in their own distinct ways! Good luck with your finals!:D

    PS/ What I love about cafes are yummy raisin scones and piping hot Americanos(:

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh i do also spend way too much time (and money) on cafés... but they truly are wonderful! your pictures are too, hon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm revising at the moment too.. I would give anything to be able to just relax in a cafe abroad! The top picture looks so decadent. Good luck with your finals!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cafes are such a nice setting for pictures. I can never seem to study there, though--too distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lucky you! i can't study in public i get far too distracted by my surroundings

    thanks for the comment x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the photos! and is time to finals for me too, so time for coffe as well
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. love that first picture cafes are the best!

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank u:)

    I love outdoor cafes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. these photos were a good find xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos. This is my first time visiting your blog. I really like it. Good luck with your finals.

    ReplyDelete